mace-opensaml-users - Re: [OpenSAML] Proper SOAP Handeling

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

Re: [OpenSAML] Proper SOAP Handeling

  • From: Chad La Joie <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [OpenSAML] Proper SOAP Handeling
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 07:28:17 -0400

OpenSAML is not meant to be a generic SOAP stack. It provides some very basic APIs to do just enough SOAP handling to cover what the standard SAML profiles require.

You can use products like Axis and XFire but you should be aware that:
- there are no standard APIs for this so when you go from one tool to another you have to marshall and serialize the XML out of OpenSAML and then deserialize and unmarshall it back in to whatever APIs the other tool uses
- these tools do not make any guarantees that they will keep the XML you give them in tact, in fact they rarely do. This will break any signatures that you create.
- these tools offer almost nothing in the way of actually security. Things like Axis's Rampart module are a complete joke.

As for the OpenSAML APIs, yes you have to use the getUnknownXMLObjects because there really is no way, from an API standpoint, to know what is in the body. It could be anything.

And no, the library does not do SOAP fault handling. As the javadocs say, the OpenSAML library is about constructing and reading in messages it is not about processing them (outside of basic very basic "is this even a valid message" checks).