mace-opensaml-users - [OpenSAML] Proper SOAP Handeling

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

[OpenSAML] Proper SOAP Handeling

  • From: Nathan Hook <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: [OpenSAML] Proper SOAP Handeling
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 14:16:44 -0600

I'm fairly new to openSAML, so please try to ignore the possible naivety of my questions below.

I'm having difficulties figuring out how to properly parse and construct SAML SOAP messages.  Our product is required to be both a provider and consumer of SAML messages.

Our application stack includes the following products:  Tomcat, Spring 2.5.6 (which includes using Spring MVC), xmltooling 1.2.0., and opensaml 2.2.3 (should I be using the 2.3.1 version that is under the latest directory: http://shibboleth.internet2.edu/downloads/opensaml/java/latest/)

Should I be using a product like Axis2 or XFire to handle the SOAP messaging?

Does SAML have a way of handling SOAP Envelopes that allows us (the developers) to get directly to the XML Body without having to call the getUnknownXMLObjects().get(0) on the Body of the SOAP message?

Also, does any part of SAML handle the proper usage of SOAP Faults when there is something wrong in a clients SOAP request?  Or would this be something that we should use an external SOAP library for?