mace-opensaml-users - Re: [OpenSAML] SAML and load balancing

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

Re: [OpenSAML] SAML and load balancing

  • From: Chad La Joie <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [OpenSAML] SAML and load balancing
  • Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2008 20:58:35 +0200

I'm not out to get sys admins but when you run in to problems like this
my experience has shown it is *always* due to a more systemic problem.
In cases of web apps my experience has been that the main issue are
those individuals who don't want, or think they shouldn't have, to learn
anything about the container. These containers are non-trivial pieces
of code. Most containers end up being multiple times the size of the
applications you're trying to run. Thus, ignoring it means you're
ignoring the *majority* of the application you're try to run.

This then leads to people trying to hack around the container. For
example by setting up reverse proxies, configuring load balancers in odd
ways, and trying to do tricky things with DNS. In the end you have
systems that are fragile and difficult to maintain. I'm not claiming
that the OpenSAML library is great, it's not, but I do think that good
software will make doing the wrong thing a bit painful so as to bring to
light the issue.

Just my Sunday evening philosophizing.

--
SWITCH