mace-opensaml-users - Re: [OpenSAML] OpenSAML Integration with AXIOM

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

Re: [OpenSAML] OpenSAML Integration with AXIOM

  • From: Brent Putman <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [OpenSAML] OpenSAML Integration with AXIOM
  • Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2008 16:31:30 -0400

Bob Jacoby wrote:
> Not strictly an opensaml question, but was hoping folks here could
> provide a pointer. I'm using Axis2 to implement the artifact resolution
> process. What have folks used to convert between the AXIOM object model
> and DOM in order to use the various opensaml marshallers/unmarshallers?
>
> I've found code to move from DOM -> AXIOM, but nothing obvious for the
> other way around. I know DOOM supposedly implements the DOM api, and
> tried that, but it doesn't appear to support the full API because when I
> tried to unmarshall a DOOM element I got a:
>
> java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException: TODO at
> org.apache.axiom.om.impl.dom.TextImpl.getWholeText(TextImpl.java:587))

Yes, I encountered that too. Unfortunately they apparently didn't
implement the whole DOM API in DOOM, I think they only did what was
minimally necessary to get WS-Security stuff to work for Rampart via the
Apache xmlsec library. :-(

Haven't looked at the new Axis2 1.4, but in 1.3 there are utility
methods in org.apache.axis2.util.XMLUtils that handle conversion both ways:

toOM(Element)
toDOM(OMElement).

They're expensive, however, as they essentially just serialize the input
representation into a byte array stream, and then re-parse and
re-unmarshall into the output representation.

--Brent