mace-opensaml-users - REVISION (IGNORE PREVIOUS): [OpenSAML] marshalling, unmarshalling

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

REVISION (IGNORE PREVIOUS): [OpenSAML] marshalling, unmarshalling

  • From: Jay Packard <>
  • To:
  • Cc:
  • Subject: REVISION (IGNORE PREVIOUS): [OpenSAML] marshalling, unmarshalling
  • Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2008 09:07:27 -0700

Chad La Joie wrote:

Jay Packard wrote:
According to http://svn.middleware.georgetown.edu/view/java-xmltooling/branches/1.0sig/src/org/opensaml/xml/io/Marshaller.java?revision=118&view=markup&pathrev=126, the marshall and unmarshall methods are not static. Don't I have to use a marshalling/unmarshalling factory?

Again, here is the documentation on unmarshalling
https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/OpenSAML/OSTwoUserManual

And here is the documentation on marshalling:
https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/OpenSAML/OSTwoUsrManJavaWriteToXML
Is the source I found out of date? The examples from your links don't disagree. They also use a marshalling/unmarshalling factory rather than a static function.

Also, the marshaller returns an org.w3c.dom.Element object. Can I simply cast this to an java.io.Serializable class (which is returned by the method in my port type stub)?

This is an incredibly basic Java question and not appropriate for this list. If you need to know if Element is serializable go look at the Javadoc for it.

What makes you think I hadn't looked at the Javadocs? I did and saw that Element is an interface so it is not inherently serializable. Whether the object returned by the marshall method is serializable or not, and hence can be cast to a Serializable object, depends on opensaml's implementation of Element, which I can't know from the API definition.
Without asking it directly, I was really just trying to understand from your experience the way the Element object is typically returned in a web service, not for you to explain something basic like the way casting works.