mace-opensaml-users - RE: java-xmltooling ANT build and JUnit failures

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

RE: java-xmltooling ANT build and JUnit failures

  • From: "Clifford Johnson" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: RE: java-xmltooling ANT build and JUnit failures
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 18:58:46 -0800

Brett,

I've noted that test cases in both java-openws and java-opensaml2 depend
on org.opensaml.xml.security.SecurityTestHelper in java-xmltooling.
Since this class is not a "production" class (it's in the test tree),
this creates an unusual dependency between projects that can't easily be
dealt with in an ANT build scenario.

To perform a "production" build for java-openws, I presently "package"
java-xmltooling and copy the xmltooling jar (and some other required
jars) into the lib directory in java-openws and perform a "package" on
java-openws. This seems reasonable to me since java-openws is dependent
on java-xmltooling -- you'd have to do the same process for any project
dependency you are building. (I follow a similar process for building
java-opensaml2.)

For a JUnit build, a similar "copy dependency build artifacts" is not
really available (though I might try an ".\ant test package" and see if
it produces a jar that contains the production *and* test classes and
copy the jar to the java-openws build-lib directory -- but I can't say
that I really like that idea).

For the moment, I'm copying the SecurityTestHelper class into each of
java-openws and java-opensaml2 and that seems to get me by. But having
an inter-project test dependency is a tad awkward -- you might consider
promoting the class to the java-xmltooling src tree. Ideally, one
should be able to perform ANT build cycles on java-openws and
java-opensaml2 without having the test sources for java-xmltooling
available.

Since I wrote the above, I discovered some other dependencies in
java-opensaml2 on the test tree in java-xmltooling. Like the
SecurityTestHelper dependency above, I'm handling this by copying the
org.opensaml.xml.mock package and
org.opensaml.xml.StaticKeyInfoCredentialResolver class to the
java-opensaml2 test tree.

Thanks.

Clifford