mace-opensaml-users - Re: Timeframe for major release

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

Re: Timeframe for major release

  • From: Chad La Joie <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: Timeframe for major release
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 19:25:50 -0400

First let me outline our release branches:

- Technology Previews: releases whose API and code is unstable and buggy but is meant to garner developer feedback.

- Alpha: code is buggy but the APIs that are in place are relatively stable; most, but not all, functionality that will be in the final release is present

- Beta: functionally complete with stable APIs; meant for developers to help us bug smash

- Stable; stable APIs, all functionality, and hopefully very few bugs

This weekend I will probably make the first alpha available. It is likely that this will include all of the APIs most people need. What will be missing are some fairly deep security features, various SOAP support features, and lots of documentation.

The timeframe between Alpha and Stable will, I'm guessing, be a couple months (so late July, early August) unless we see more people testing than I currently expect.

wrote:
Hi,

I was wondering when you plan to have the major release of the opensaml 2.0
framework ready.

We are currently building a saml service provider for a customer, and we need
to be able to be saml 2.0 compliant by the end of this year. Currently we are
planning to use the opensaml 1.1 framework in the short term with a new
release of the application scheduled for later in the year to include saml
2.0.

If the opensaml 2.0 framework is close to complete then we would look at
using this for both stages of the project and add any changes back into the
code stream. We have some time to test and debug issues and are happy to
contribute to the opensaml project.

Can you give me some idea of the time frame for a major release of opensaml
2.0?

Thanks,
Tim Ransom

--