mace-opensaml-users - RE: Encryption Software

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

RE: Encryption Software

  • From: "Scott Cantor" <>
  • To: "'Girish Sundarraj'" <>
  • Cc: <>
  • Subject: RE: Encryption Software
  • Date: Wed, 3 May 2006 11:07:33 -0400

> Thanks for the response. I am in the process of evaluating the openSAML
> C++ libraries for SAML.

There isn't much/any documentation, and we're working on the 2.0 libraries
right now, which will have docs, so you may be better off waiting depending
on your time frame.

> So what I understand is usage of following libraries does not mandate
> exposing our source code, even if we download and build the source code
> for each of them. Also we would be just dynamically linking these
> libraries with our source code and have no intension to alter the source
> code.

I believe that all but log4cpp have Apache or BSD-style licenses that allow
basically any derivative work, including hacking on the code itself, without
revealing source. The LGPL may be different, I think it explicitly permits
inclusion of binaries in a product, but if you hack the source, you need to
make *that* changed source code available. But nothing that's linked to the
library itself is covered.

Basically, if you're dealing with licensing, get a lawyer, unless you're
just taking all the code as is and distributing binaries or pointing to
other copies. Then you're probably safe.

> Apart from these I have couple of other questions:
>
> 1. Our product is supported for windows 32/ 64 x-86, SOLARIS 32/64-
> SPARC and LINUX 64 X86. Do we have binaries for all above mentioned
> libraries readily available? Or we need to build each of them from
> source?

There are almost no 64-bit builds. I did one set for Red Hat on Opteron and
that's it. I believe the current released OpenSAML code does *not* build
cleanly under any newer MS compiler. I used VS 6.0 until I started work on
the next release, and that's old and 32 bit.

I have copies that build on newer versions so it's not that hard to fix, but
I haven't done any 64 bit Windows builds.

Regardless, you'd be insane to distribute code yourself and rely on somebody
else's binaries anyway.

> 2. In the FAQ in the link http://www.opensaml.org/faq.html#02 Question
> "what is openSAML? " has the answer "C++ libraries support requesting
> only". What do they exactly mean here?

There is no server side SOAP support, only client side SOAP requests.

> Does it just say that browser artifact is not supported? Does openSAML
> C++ library support both push & pull (SOAP based artifcact) mechanism?

Only the underlying mechanics are supported. Huge amounts of code are
required to implement a SAML SSO system on top of OpenSAML. This is a
library, not a SSO system.

> Actually we are intending to use openSAML C++ library to implement SAML
> based SSO where we have to write code for client to fetch assertion and
> write implementation logic for Service Provider.

I think you'd be a lot better served looking at Shibboleth, which already
does all that.