mace-opensaml-users - RE: Handling Assertions where Signed element isn't nested (1.1b)

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

RE: Handling Assertions where Signed element isn't nested (1.1b)

  • From: "Scott Cantor" <>
  • To: "'Glen Smith'" <>, <>
  • Subject: RE: Handling Assertions where Signed element isn't nested (1.1b)
  • Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 16:48:23 -0400

> I have an incoming soap header with a signed identity assertion and was
> wondering if I can leaverage OpenSAML 1.1b to validate the signing for
> me.

The scope of OpenSAML 1.1 is handling signed SAML objects. What you're
talking about is WS-Security, and it wasn't in scope.

It's not in scope for 2.0 either, but the underlying libraries should be
more extendable to assist with such cases. But WS-Security isn't that
simple. If things like WSS4J don't meet your needs, that's a tough thing to
just one-off.

> I could do the XMLSig by hand using the underlying Apache lib.... but
> I'd only be duplicating the logic already inside that sign() method on
> SAMLSignedObject - which makes me think I've got the wrong idea about
> how I should be going about this.

I think you'd be shocked at how little the code inside SAMLSignedObject has
anything to do with it. WS-Security is much more complex, not tightly
constrained like SAML signatures are. There's really not much there to
reuse.

> Any ideas? BTW... really great library. I've used it at another clients
> site and it's saved us a ton of time.

I'm happy it helped.

If you're doing Java, I guess you should try WSS4J. I think we'd be
interested in the ease with which you manage to accomplish that.