mace-opensaml-users - Handling Assertions where Signed element isn't nested (1.1b)

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

Handling Assertions where Signed element isn't nested (1.1b)

  • From: Glen Smith <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Handling Assertions where Signed element isn't nested (1.1b)
  • Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 05:35:11 +1000

Hi Guys,

I have an incoming soap header with a signed identity assertion and was wondering if I can leaverage OpenSAML 1.1b to validate the signing for me. For example, I've got something like...

<wsse:Security>
<saml:Assertion>…</saml:Assertion>
<ds:Signature>…</ds:Signature>
</wsse:Security>

Now I've successfully created a SAMLAssertion object by passing the in the relevant DOM element and it checks out just fine. Then I was hoping to call SAMLAssertion.sign() - but that fails complaining the object isn't signed since the signing element doesn't appear inside the assertion itself.

I could do the XMLSig by hand using the underlying Apache lib.... but I'd only be duplicating the logic already inside that sign() method on SAMLSignedObject - which makes me think I've got the wrong idea about how I should be going about this.

Any ideas? BTW... really great library. I've used it at another clients site and it's saved us a ton of time.

Thanks,

Glen.