mace-opensaml-users - RE: about dom3 in opensaml

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

RE: about dom3 in opensaml

  • From: "Scott Cantor" <>
  • To: "'Evan Comer'" <>
  • Cc: <>
  • Subject: RE: about dom3 in opensaml
  • Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 23:09:00 -0500

> My application used dom2 xml-apis.jar and xercesImpl.jar. To support
> opensaml in my application, I put dom3-xml-api-2.4.0.jar and
> dom3-xercesImpl-2.4.0.jar in the endorsed directory. Since my
> application used some classes which is in dom2 xercesImpl but not in
> dom3-xercesImpl, like org.apache.xerces.dom.DOMInputImpl,
> org.apache.xerces.xs.* and so on, I have to use both of xercesImpl.jar
> and dom3-xercesImpl-2.4.0.jar.

You should not rely on internal classes like that. That's the bug here.
Secondly, this has nothing to do with the DOM level. You could simply
rebuild the version of Xerces you're improperly depending on with DOM3
support, as long as it's relatively recent. I think anything past 2.3 or so
should have a DOM3 build option.

> I mean, the calls of dom3-api are not been executed right now and the
> program can run, but they will be executed some day. What will happen
> then?

Probably unpredictable.

> Would there be any potential confliction between xml-apis.jar and
> dom3-xml-api-2.4.0.jar, xercesImpl.jar and dom3-xercesImpl-2.4.0.jar ?

Yes. You should fix your application to rely only on the public APIs.
Anything in org.apache.xerces or org.apache.xalan is really off-limits at
this point or you're risking these kinds of conflicts.

What is it that you need to access the implementation internals for?