mace-opensaml-users - RE: Equality of SAMLNameIdentifier objects

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

RE: Equality of SAMLNameIdentifier objects

  • From: "Scott Cantor" <>
  • To: "'Markus Lorch'" <>, <>
  • Subject: RE: Equality of SAMLNameIdentifier objects
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2005 19:58:28 -0500

> I think I can agree with / live with all the points you
> said. And yes, it did work in 0.8 - I was under the
> impression that in Java the basic objects equal function
> simply compares the value of the member variables not
> object references (but this may break if member variables
> are not just simple type but are references to other
> objects. I guess such a reference got introduced with
> the NameIdentifier objects where before we only had
> simple types as members (maybe?).

It was there before (the DOM Node root is what would be the likely problem),
but my guess is that something about the way you were extracting and
comparing the objects is different. Or I'm wrong and it's actually something
else, I just haven't explored it.

There are at least a few places where logical equality makes some sense, but
not everywhere. Maybe I can just hide the method when it doesn't make sense.