mace-opensaml-users - Re: opensaml toolkit and JAXB generated bindings for SAML 1.1 XML Schemas

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

Re: opensaml toolkit and JAXB generated bindings for SAML 1.1 XML Schemas

  • From: Farrukh Najmi <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: opensaml toolkit and JAXB generated bindings for SAML 1.1 XML Schemas
  • Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 09:27:45 -0400

Scott Cantor wrote:

I have been using JAXB and XML DSIG API for signature generation and verification without any issues for about a year in [1]

Are you signing base64 content?
Yes

If so, does the JAXB layer actually do
schema validation and normalization, or does it just sort of generate code
that detects when the XML is out of sequence as opposed to actually
processing it as a validating parser?

It can do schema validation (not sure about schema normalization) but I keep it turned off for performance.

The major issue is that schema normalization breaks signatures if the
SignedInfo includes base64 content. It's not a case of whether it works or
not. It simply can't, the spec doesn't permit it. You need a custom
transform, and with SAML that's not possible.

I assume then that schema normalization is not being done by JAXB in teh mode that I am using it as I do not observe any problems.

--
Regards,
Farrukh