mace-opensaml-users - RE: AttributeQuery use cases

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

RE: AttributeQuery use cases

  • From: "Scott Cantor" <>
  • To: <>
  • Cc: "'Mike Ferraro'" <>, <>
  • Subject: RE: AttributeQuery use cases
  • Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 18:57:09 -0400

> One can state a null value in XML with by:
> xsi:nil="true"

A quick read of the schema spec and a test with JEdit's validator suggests
that this is illegal for SAML because nillable on any type is false by
default, and xsi:nil can only be used if it's true in the schema.

Note that whether you personally validate or not is immaterial. The schema
is normative, and if the schema as is doesn't permit xsi:nil on the
<AttributeValue>, that's that.

However, I think I should propose we set nillable true in 2.0 to allow for
this. We handled "no values", but we should handle NULL in the obvious way
if possible.