mace-opensaml-users - RE: Error testing OpenSAML build with signtest on Red Hat Linux 9.0

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

RE: Error testing OpenSAML build with signtest on Red Hat Linux 9.0

  • From: Scott Cantor <>
  • To: 'Albert Lunde' <>,
  • Subject: RE: Error testing OpenSAML build with signtest on Red Hat Linux 9.0
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 21:53:34 -0400

> I think I'm getting an error running "signtest" at the end of
> building OpenSAML. However the instructions in the INSTALL
> document are brief enough, that I'm not sure I'm even using
> it in the intended fashion.

You don't really need to run it unless you're trying to do something
unusual. Just being able to get it to spit out the usage line means it
linked ok, which is the purpose of trying it.

> Signtest seems to expect arguments:

It's for signing or verifying existing data, it doesn't generate anything by
itself.

> So I ran the script "tester", in hopes this was an intended test case:

The test harness is hard to use and isn't documented. You have to run it
once to generate a bunch of XML that you can copy into a test folder to use
as input to another run.

> > - serialize from input stream (optional)

That's the part you want to bypass at first.

> This looks like a failure, but I don't really know if this is
> the intended way to run a test.

It's not, and I don't even recall the exact syntax, I'd have to look at the
code.