mace-opensaml-users - RE: OpenSAML for Web Services ???

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

RE: OpenSAML for Web Services ???

  • From: "RL 'Bob' Morgan" <>
  • To: nicho mmmmmmm <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: RE: OpenSAML for Web Services ???
  • Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 07:49:26 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 12 May 2003, nicho mmmmmmm wrote:

> My question is can we change the source site and the destination site as
> a web services, and user directly access the source site without using
> any browser, JSP and servlet ? with WSDL of the web services provided to
> the user, and the user just need to create a stub to invoke the source
> site through SOAP message ?

The SAML specs only define its use in the web browser scenario.

If the interaction you're trying to secure is between two programmable
entities communicating via SOAP, then you should check out the work of the
OASIS Web Services Security TC:

http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=wss

The WSS work defines how various kinds of security mechanisms, including
SAML, can be used directly to provide security for SOAP messages. The set
of specs is pretty close to being done.

- RL "Bob"