mace-opensaml-users - RE: bug in constructing objects using InputStream

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

RE: bug in constructing objects using InputStream

  • From: Scott Cantor <>
  • To: 'Nick Laqua' <>,
  • Subject: RE: bug in constructing objects using InputStream
  • Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 11:09:38 -0500

> When constructing a SAMLRequest using an InputStream, the
> super class SAMLObject calls the "virtual" polymorphic method
> fromDOM without the private members being initialized (e.g.
> respondWiths).

IOW, despite the fact that in Java when you call a virtual function from a
constructor, it calls the derived version, it still
hasn't constructed the object at that level yet?

Ugh.

In C++, the behavior is explicit that you don't expect the overridden version
to get called from the base, since the subclass isn't
constructed yet, but since Java calls the subclass version of the method, I
assumed it did the right thing to make that viable.

I presume the fix is to initialize explicitly in the constructor(s).