mace-opensaml-users - RE: Can OpenSAML be used with JAXP compliant XML parsers?

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

RE: Can OpenSAML be used with JAXP compliant XML parsers?

  • From: Scott Cantor <>
  • To: 'Shannon Kendrick' <>,
  • Subject: RE: Can OpenSAML be used with JAXP compliant XML parsers?
  • Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2003 15:37:10 -0500

> I was wondering if OpenSAML really requires features specific
> to Apache Xerces, or could another JAXP compliant parser be
> used? I ran into a little deployment problem with OpenSAML on
> my app server because it uses a different XML parser. While I
> was investigating the problem, I realized that OpenSAML
> instantiates some Xerces classes directly rather than using
> the factory methods in JAXP.

IIRC, I had at one point stuck to mostly JAXP and DOM calls, but ran into a
problem with setting one of the parser features. I think
it had to do with an inablity to change the schemaLocations property *after*
having built a parser, and I wanted to pool them, but
still allow schemas to be added after initialization.

The parse and newDocument functions are probably sufficiently encapsulated
that a JAXP version could be built pretty easily now, but
the pooling would have to be bypassed.

I confess, I know how to support building such variant implementations in C++
using compile time declarations, but I don't know much
about doing it in Java.

Most app servers let you override the class loader for your app (ok, Tomcat
does), and given the way Java works, that seems pretty
essential to me though.