k20innovators - Re: RE: An idea for the future - Nanoscale Science Education

Subject: Remote Instrumentation & Data Visualizations Working Group

Re: RE: An idea for the future - Nanoscale Science Education

  • From:
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: RE: An idea for the future - Nanoscale Science Education
  • Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 05:14:47 -0500 (EST)

Hi folks,

Here's an idea: Narrated tours through atomically resolved bionanocapes. The
images produced by atomic force microscopes can commented on by outstanding
research scientists in real time. During an online conference, a moderator
could take student questions.

This idea would demonstrate the power of Internet2, connect the bionano
research community in a powerful way and reach out to an existing K-14
audience.

I have developed a list of research scientists that might be suitable
collaborators, if you are interested in making this happen.

Gregory Louie

P.S.

Since I'm new to your list here's a little blurb about myself.

I'm a NYS Authentic Science Research in the High Schools (ASR). I've taken a
year off to ease the transition of our newly adopted Chinese daughter to her
new family.

While she naps, I'm developing a web portal to recruit, challenge and support
research students. I'm gearing this site to a K-14 audience.

The intention is to challenge students to design solutions for medical,
health and global environmental problems. My focus is on bionanotech
designs. I have some experience in this field. Besides my daughter, it is
one of my life's passions.

For those of you unfamiliar with the ASR program: This three year program
provides high school students with an authentic experience of scientific
research. The students select an individual project of their own choosing,
read scientific papers, contact research scientists and design and conduct
experiments in their mentor's laboratory. The best students produce
papers(in peer-reviewed journals) and go on to compete and win at local,
national and international science competitions.

For those of you unfamiliar with bionanotechnology: This is an emerging
discipline that has resulted from the convergence of molecular biology and
nanoscale science (physics, materials science, and microprocessor
technologies).

The nanoscale is 1000x smaller than the microscale reaching nearly down to
the atomic scale. It is the scale at which molecules operate.

The hope is to shrinking devices like microprocessors another 10-1000 fold,
so imagine your desktop computer shrunk down to the size of your wristwatch
or even smaller. Inside that wristwatch would be a nanoscale computer
processor. Some even envision nanoscale computers embedded in the very
threads of your clothing.

Of course, those crafty little cells have been there first - operating at the
nanoscale for billions of years. A cell can be considered as a package of
approximately 300,000 to 1 million nanoscale components all wonderfully
orchestrated to perform the complex tasks of daily life.

Ciao,

Gregory
LIFE IS GOOD!