isn-discuss - Re: [isn-discuss] New ISN patch for OpenSIPS

Subject: Discussion List for Freenum/ITAD Subscriber Number (ISN) Project

Re: [isn-discuss] New ISN patch for OpenSIPS

  • From: Michael Schloh von Bennewitz <>
  • To: Freenum Discuss <>
  • Subject: Re: [isn-discuss] New ISN patch for OpenSIPS
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 11:40:25 +0100

Hello John,

An mer., janv 20, 2010, John Todd schrieb:
> On Jan 20, 2010, at 12:16 PM, Michael Schloh von Bennewitz wrote:
>> As announced on the OpenSIPS [1] development mailing list [2],
>> there's a new patch to OpenSIPS to support ISN lookups natively.
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> Whether this code makes it into the OpenSIPS code tree and will
>> be distributed in an upcoming release is yet to be known. We assume
>> that it is pending a code review of some sort.

It's pending a code review [A]. Because it seems that there is
interest from OpenSIPS to develop ENUM and ISN, there could be
further activity in this area, for example a more feature rich
ISN API and better documentation.

>> For those using older versions of SER or OpenSER, it is probably
>> trivial to integrate this patch code into those code trees.

Not knowing what people use ISN for and how most are implementing
it (SER variant modules or with the cookbook Perl script, Asterisk,
versions, other PBXs and SIP proxies...) I'm not sure what else to
do. It was clear that work was needed in OpenSIPS, only because
that's the SIP proxy project I'm familiar with. As far as I know:

SER variants
------------
SER (from IPTel)
OpenSER (Changed name to...)
OpenSIPS (Fork of OpenSER)
Kamailio (Fork of OpenSER)
SIP Router Project (Something new?)

That would be nice if somebody with a better overview would say
where most ISN development is. For example, if a lot of people are
using Kamailio (rather than OpenSIPS) then it might be good to port
the OpenSIPS ISN code over there.

>> [1] http://www.opensips.org/
>> [2] http://lists.opensips.org/pipermail/devel/2010-January/005232.html
>>
> Thank you for the patch! What would you suggest needs to be done to
> promote the addition of this patch to the SER and OpenSER communities? I
> will admit I have lost track of the process for getting patches into
> those trees.

Losing track is not hard with the spaghetti SER history and its name
changes and forks. The page 'history' on IPTel's SER website ends in
the year 2006, so it may be that SER is unmaintained? OpenSER is for
sure the wrong term to use for any project today, as it forked or
changed its name to OpenSIPS and Kamailio a couple years ago.

[A] http://lists.opensips.org/pipermail/devel/2010-January/005257.html

Regards,
Michael

--