isn-discuss - Re: [isn-discuss] eligibility and participation

Subject: Discussion List for Freenum/ITAD Subscriber Number (ISN) Project

Re: [isn-discuss] eligibility and participation

  • From:
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [isn-discuss] eligibility and participation
  • Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 22:19:46 -0400

From: Jason White
<>

I run my own FreeSWITCH server at home and have registered a
domain, for which I manage the DNS records with Bind. (Friends with
static IPv4 addresses are acting as primary/secondary DNS servers,
with my own machine as the master server) accessible over IPv6.

I have a static IPv6 address block via http://tunnelbroker.net/ but
not a static IPv4 address, due to the extra expense around here of
buying an Internet service with an associated static address.

I don't know whether, as a domain holder, I would qualify as an
"organization" for registration purposes or otherwise meet whatever
the eligibility criteria are.

As far as I know, "organization" includes just about anything that can
be pointed to from the outside. Looking at the ITAD registrations
(http://www.iana.org/assignments/trip-parameters/trip-parameters.xhtml)
I see these that appear to be individuals, or perhaps one-person
corporations:

271 The Sjobeck Company LLC

275 Popper Consulting

279 Robico Solutions

288 The Covert Organization

(note that that is within the first 100 ITADs) and of course, my
consulting company:

413 Ariadne Internet Services, Inc.

The situation I wish to set up is one in which an ISN can be used
to reach extensions on my FreeSWITCH system. I suppose the main
options are (1) to register myself, if I am eligible, or (2) to
work out an arrangement with someone else who has a registration so
that calls destined to numbers matching a certain pattern are
forwarded to my system.

In the former case, I could even set up IPv4 access using dynamic
DNS

Yes, dynamic DNS is the popular way to deal with IP service without a
static address.

Dale