isn-discuss - eligibility and participation

Subject: Discussion List for Freenum/ITAD Subscriber Number (ISN) Project

eligibility and participation

  • From: Jason White <>
  • To:
  • Subject: eligibility and participation
  • Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2009 17:05:13 +1000

Hello all,

I run my own FreeSWITCH server at home and have registered a domain, for which
I manage the DNS records with Bind. (Friends with static IPv4 addresses are
acting as primary/secondary DNS servers, with my own machine as the master
server) accessible over IPv6.

I have a static IPv6 address block via http://tunnelbroker.net/ but not a
static IPv4 address, due to the extra expense around here of buying an
Internet service with an associated static address.

I don't know whether, as a domain holder, I would qualify as an "organization"
for registration purposes or otherwise meet whatever the eligibility criteria
are.

The situation I wish to set up is one in which an ISN can be used to reach
extensions on my FreeSWITCH system. I suppose the main options are (1) to
register myself, if I am eligible, or (2) to work out an arrangement with
someone else who has a registration so that calls destined to numbers matching
a certain pattern are forwarded to my system.

In the former case, I could even set up IPv4 access using dynamic DNS, or have
a friend/colleague with a static address act as a secondary-priority server
so that calls which can't reach my machine directly over IPv6 can be handled
via IPv4 using another server to which mine would register.

Advice and suggestions are welcome as to what would be the best arrangement to
opt for.