isn-discuss - Re: [isn-discuss] ISN dialing, numeric alternative to * key ?

Subject: Discussion List for Freenum/ITAD Subscriber Number (ISN) Project

Re: [isn-discuss] ISN dialing, numeric alternative to * key ?

  • From: (Dennis Baron)
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [isn-discuss] ISN dialing, numeric alternative to * key ?
  • Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 06:16:45 -0500

[I haven't read through all of this thread yet but let me start by
asking about one statement.]

said:
> (since ISN subscribers nor ITADs can start with "0")

This has come up before - I don't understand why subscriber numbers
can't start with "0". I thought they were "locally assinged" and
could be anything - well, maybe not null?

There are some numbers that cannot be or start with "0":

* ITADs (0 Reserved)
* E.164 numbers (CC0 Reserved)
* NANP NPA Codes (?)

I'm not sure about the last one - if nobody knows I'll check.

This is important for MIT since we were expecting to be able to use
both 0 and 0+ as subscriber numbers.

But I have wondered if "*" and "#" are allowed?

More later... Dennis