isn-discuss - ISN dialing, numeric alternative to * key ?

Subject: Discussion List for Freenum/ITAD Subscriber Number (ISN) Project

ISN dialing, numeric alternative to * key ?

  • From: "Jonathan Cohen" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: ISN dialing, numeric alternative to * key ?
  • Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 00:42:52 +0100

Hi,

Hope this is a good place to post this and apologies if this a really silly question. I've got ISN dialling working fine to our Asterisk gateway and inbound/outbound calling works fine, however there's a bit of a problem....

One of our aims is to provide telephone access to areas such as Africa where a conventional fixed network is not available or is very expensive/poor quality. Internet connectivity can be rigged using WiFi etc and VoIP is a natural progression. We take existing old PBXs, telephones etc and link them together using low cost gateways or ATAs. The problem is that much of the end user equipment is only capable of pulse dialling and therefore can't dial the * symbol in the dialplans.

For the moment I've created a dialplan that assumes the last three digits of a number are the ITAD but obviously once ITADs are longer than three digits this won't scale. For example users would dial:

2002233*329
as
000 2002233 329 (or possibly 000 329 2002233 in a more conventional format)

What I can't find anywhere is a recommendation on how this should be handled, since the variable number length and potentially variable ITAD make dialling separation almost impossible.

Rgds
Jonathan Cohen

2002233*329