i2-news - [I2-NEWS] University of Nebraska-Lincoln Joins Unizin

Subject: News for and about the Internet2 community

[I2-NEWS] University of Nebraska-Lincoln Joins Unizin

  • From: Alex Page <>
  • To:
  • Subject: [I2-NEWS] University of Nebraska-Lincoln Joins Unizin
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2015 09:55:41 -0500

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Media Contact:
Alex Page
Unizin
(o) 512.640.6102

Unizin Welcomes Another University

University of Nebraska-Lincoln Joins Unizin Consortium as a Founding Investor

AUSTIN, June 12, 2015 – Unizin is proud to welcome the University of Nebraska-Lincoln to the Consortium today. The new addition brings the Unizin Consortium up to eleven members encompassing nearly 500,000 students.

“The University of Nebraska-Lincoln is pleased to be a founding investor in Unizin,” said Ellen Weissinger, Senior Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs. “We believe that Unizin will accomplish three important outcomes – it will advance best practices in digital pedagogy and learning analytics, it will accelerate the ability of faculty to freely share digital teaching content with one another, and it will create a highly leveraged position for long term cost containment and protection from predatory business practices.  Unizin’s primary focus on understanding and deepening student learning is consistent with our institution’s core values.”

With more than 24,000 students, University of Nebraska-Lincoln is Nebraska’s land grant institution. University of Nebraska-Lincoln will be piloting Unizin Services with select students in the school’s Online and Distance Education and Information Technology Services beginning this fall.

“We are extremely excited to welcome to Unizin another world-class institution in the University of Nebraska-Lincoln,” said Robin Littleworth, Chief Operations Officer at Unizin. “Unizin is working hard to shape the future of higher education, and it is great to bolster the consortium with this leading university.”

Unizin will assist the University of Nebraska-Lincoln with its pilot and migration to Canvas with the rapid course development service, Design Tools. This feature makes course content creation easier by dramatically reducing redundant workflows. The tools also assist in the migration process by rapidly developing visually appealing and standardized courses.

“Unizin is delivering custom solutions to ease certain processes and help members quickly recognize value, but our digital learning ecosystem goes far beyond this,” said Littleworth. “Unizin is focused on combining the platform, content and analytics that will allow our members to better control their destiny and achieve their research and education missions.”

The consortium exists to support faculty and universities by ensuring that they stay in control of the content, data and relationships they create. Unizin is about tipping the table in favor of the academy by collectively owning (buying, developing and connecting) the essential digital infrastructure that enables learning on our campuses and beyond.

About Unizin

The Unizin consortium is a university-owned and directed 501(c)3 nonprofit providing standards-based digital learning and teaching infrastructure for its members. There are currently 11 founding members including Indiana University, Colorado State University, the University of Michigan, the University of Florida, the University of Wisconsin-Madison, Oregon State University, the University of Minnesota, the University of Iowa, Pennsylvania State University, The Ohio State University and the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. The Unizin consortium provides a common technological platform delivered over higher education’s community-owned national research and education network operated by Internet2. Unizin is headquartered in Austin, Texas.

For more on Unizin, see www.unizin.org or email .

  • [I2-NEWS] University of Nebraska-Lincoln Joins Unizin, Alex Page, 06/12/2015