i2-news - [I2-NEWS] California Community Colleges to Join InCommon Federation

Subject: News for and about the Internet2 community

[I2-NEWS] California Community Colleges to Join InCommon Federation

  • From: Glenn Lipscomb <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: [I2-NEWS] California Community Colleges to Join InCommon Federation
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2015 17:37:25 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Contact:
Glenn Lipscomb
Internet2
720.379.9677

All California Community Colleges to Join InCommon Federation

Campuses will have system-wide single sign-on and privacy protection for online applications

WASHINGTON, June 10, 2015—Internet2 announced today that the California Community College Chancellor’s Office has signed an agreement that will lead to all 72 community college districts in the state of California joining the InCommon Federation. As some districts include more than one college, a total of 112 community colleges will benefit through this agreement. Supporting individual campus and system needs, participation in the federation enables a secure approach to access management for online resources internally throughout the system and to services provided over the internet.

Once all California Community College districts join, the InCommon Federation will extend to about 800 participants, including almost 600 higher education institutions and non-profit research centers, and more than 200 corporate sponsor partners. InCommon will serve more than 10 million individual users.

Participating InCommon institutions provide their users single sign-on convenience to on-campus, off-campus, and cloud resources, while still allowing the resource owner to make the final authorization decision.  The California Community College system, for example, will enable students and faculty affiliated with more than one college to see the immediate benefits of a single sign-on no matter which of the 112 campuses they are visiting or which online service they are using.  Significant services developed and hosted by one CCC campus can now be made available to any of the other California colleges without the need to issue new IDs to existing faculty, staff or students.

“InCommon will help provide millions of California Community College students convenient and secure access to our statewide technology initiatives in Online Education, Common Assessment and Education Planning,” said Tim Calhoon, executive director, California Community Colleges Technology Center. “We are pleased to have Internet2 as a partner in this transformative effort across our system.”

Operated by Internet2, InCommon enables its participants to leverage their identity databases to allow for the use of one set of credentials to access multiple resources. This means identity providers can manage the levels of their users’ privacy and information exchange, and service providers no longer need to maintain user accounts. More information on InCommon is available at www.InCommon.org.

About InCommon
InCommon®, operated by Internet2®, serves the U.S. education and research communities, supporting a common framework of trust services, including the U.S. identity management trust federation for research and education, a community-driven Certificate Service, an Assurance Program providing higher levels of trust, and a multifactor authentication program. Find out more at www.incommon.org.

About Internet2
Internet2® is a member-owned advanced technology community founded by the nation's leading higher education institutions in 1996. Internet2 provides a collaborative environment for U.S. research and education organizations to solve common technology challenges, and to develop innovative solutions in support of their educational, research, and community service missions. Internet2 also operates the nation’s largest and fastest, coast-to-coast research and education network, in which the Network Operations Center is powered by Indiana University. Internet2 serves more than 90,000 community anchor institutions, 260 U.S. universities, 65 government agencies, 40 regional and state education networks, 85 leading corporations working with our community and more than 65 national research and education networking partners representing more than 100 countries. Internet2 offices are located in Ann Arbor, Mich.; Denver, Colo.; Emeryville, Calif.; Washington, D.C; and West Hartford, Conn. For more information, visit www.internet2.edu or follow @Internet2 on Twitter.

About California Community Colleges

The California Community Colleges is the largest system of higher education in the nation composed of 72 districts and 112 colleges serving 2.1 million students per year. Community colleges supply workforce training, basic skills education and prepare students for transfer to four-year institutions. The Chancellor’s Office provides leadership, advocacy and support under the direction of the Board of Governors of the California Community Colleges. For more information about the community colleges, please visit http://californiacommunitycolleges.cccco.edu/, https://www.facebook.com/CACommColleges, or https://twitter.com/CalCommColleges.

  • [I2-NEWS] California Community Colleges to Join InCommon Federation, Glenn Lipscomb, 06/10/2015