i2-news - I2-NEWS: Next Generation Internet Distinguished Webcast Lectures

Subject: News for and about the Internet2 community

I2-NEWS: Next Generation Internet Distinguished Webcast Lectures

  • From: "Greg Wood" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: I2-NEWS: Next Generation Internet Distinguished Webcast Lectures
  • Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 14:04:44 -0500

Subject: Multicast Seminar 2/18: Vernor Vinge - The Digital Gaia

Vernor Vinge, "The Digital Gaia"

NGI Distinguished Lecture - 18 February 2000, 1 PM EST

In this talk, I assume that Moore's Law continues to be valid for
another quarter century, and consider the consequences of that
progress for VR/wearable computing, fine-grained distributed systems,
collaborations, and central-site technology: How far can we take
ubiquitous computing? What will our lives and work be like as we
soar along this trajectory of hardware and software improvement?

The DARPA NGI Program is proud to announce the start of a new series
of live and telecast seminars on Next Generation Internet
technologies. The first NGI Distinguished Lecturer will be the
Hugo Award-winning science fiction author, Vernor Vinge. Numerous
Internauts have said their imaginations were expanded by Vinge's
works, including True Names (1981), often considered to be the
introduction of the fictional concept of cyberspace (three years
before William Gibson's Neuromancer), The Peace War (1984), and A Fire
upon the Deep (1992). A Deepness in the Sky (1999) is the prequel to
A Fire upon the Deep; both of these novels feature a richly imagined
intergalactic email infrastructure. A collection entitled True Names
And the Opening of the Cyberspace Frontier, reprinting the novella and
including essays by Richard Stallman and Danny Hillis, among others,
will appear in April 2000. Vinge is also an associate professor of
computer science at San Diego State University, where his interests
are in networks and distributed systems.

Location:

ACCESS Facility:
Ballston Metro Center Office Tower, Suite 800
901 North Stuart Street
Arlington, Virginia 22203

Attendance:

Space is limited. Please RSVP to
.
Directions for getting to the Access Facility can be found at:

http://www.ncsa.uiuc.edu/VEG/homepages/tcoffin/ACCESS/directions.html

Multicast/Webcast:

The NGI Distinguished Lecture Series will be multicast live and also
webcast using RealMedia. The live multicast will allow for questions and
comments from the remote audience. To tune into the Internet multicasts,
look for the announcement in your MBONE session directory program
('sdr'). If the announcement is not present there, it still may
be possible to receive the session by manually configuring the client
programs ('vic', and 'rat' or 'vat') with session addresses. The
session addresses, webcast details, and information on non-live access
to the seminar will be posted on:

http://www.ngi-supernet.org/conferences.html

During the seminar, any technical difficulties about the multicast can
be addressed to
.

NGI Distinguished Lecture Series Future Speakers:

23 March 2000 Kim Claffy, CAIDA (date tentative)
Date TBA Vint Cerf, Interplanetary Internet