i2-news - I2-NEWS: Internet2 Announces Competition for World's Highest-Bandwidth Internet Applications

Subject: News for and about the Internet2 community

I2-NEWS: Internet2 Announces Competition for World's Highest-Bandwidth Internet Applications

  • From: "Greg Wood" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: I2-NEWS: Internet2 Announces Competition for World's Highest-Bandwidth Internet Applications
  • Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 07:48:55 -0500

Contact
Greg Wood
Internet2

202-331-5360

Internet2 Announces Competition for World's Highest-Bandwidth Internet
Applications

Global contest will recognize and promote new network applications and
technologies

Washington, DC-February 16, 2000-Internet2(tm) today announced the Internet2
Land Speed Record competition for the most demanding end-to-end,
bandwidth-intensive Internet applications in the world. The contest is
expected to attract entries from the fastest networkers on the face of the
planet. The first Internet2 Land Speed Record award will be presented at the
Spring 2000 Internet2 Member Meeting in Washington, D.C. on March 29.

"This competition provides a showcase for the high-performance applications
being developed by researchers and engineers around the world,” said Basil
Irwin, a senior network engineer at the National Center for Atmospheric
Research and leader of the Web100 project. "But in addition to recognizing
work already underway, I expect the Internet2 Land Speed Record will promote
the development of new applications and technologies that will transform the
potential of wide-area networks such as the global Internet."

"The Internet2 Land Speed Record highlights the need for dependably high
end-to-end network throughput which is required by advanced applications but
not commonly available to researchers today,” said Guy Almes, Chief Engineer
for Internet2.

The entries in the competition will be judged on a combination of how much
bandwidth used and how much distance they cover end-to-end. Eligible entries
will use standard Internet (TCP/IP) protocols. The deadline for entries is
March 17, 2000. Complete rules, submission guidelines and additional details
are available at:
http://www.internet2.edu/html/i2lsr.html

About Internet2(tm)
Internet2 is developing and deploying advanced network applications and
technologies for research and higher education, accelerating the creation of
tomorrow’s Internet. Internet2 recreates the partnership of academia,
industry and government that helped foster today's Internet in its infancy.
For more information about Internet2, see:
http://www.internet2.edu/

###