grouper-users - Re: [grouper-users] example basis and reference groups?

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

Re: [grouper-users] example basis and reference groups?

  • From: Bill Thompson <>
  • To: Liam Hoekenga <>
  • Cc: Grouper Users <>
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-users] example basis and reference groups?
  • Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2020 12:37:26 -0500

Indeed. Policy groups should be service specific and backed up by reference/basis groups that can be used in any policy where they are needed.

On Tue, Dec 15, 2020 at 12:34 PM Liam Hoekenga <> wrote:
Hey Bill!

That would be fantastic.  I'll contact you off list.

> Generally we let access policy requirements drive what reference and basis groups we have.
We've been warned about making groups that were too specific / implemented for very specific uses.  I've been hoping we could generalize some stuff and make some broadly useful groups.

Liam

On Tue, Dec 15, 2020 at 11:19 AM Bill Thompson <> wrote:
Hi Liam,

Happy to jump on a call to review Lafayette's setup.  Generally we let access policy requirements drive what reference and basis groups we have.

Best,
Bill

On Tue, Dec 15, 2020 at 11:27 AM Liam Hoekenga <> wrote:
We're trying to figure out how we want to slice and dice our HR data into basis and reference groups.  I'm aware of the "arcane codes" vs "institutionally meaningful" descriptions.. but it feels like some of our arcane codes might be institutionally meaningful (e.g. "department ID number").

I was hoping people might be willing to share samples of what they've implemented?

thanks!
--
Liam Hoekenga
ITS Identity and Access Management