grouper-users - Re: [grouper-users] example basis and reference groups?

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

Re: [grouper-users] example basis and reference groups?

  • From: Jeffrey Williams <>
  • To: Liam Hoekenga <>
  • Cc: Grouper-Users <>
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-users] example basis and reference groups?
  • Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2020 11:14:48 -0500

On Tue, Dec 15, 2020 at 11:27 AM Liam Hoekenga <> wrote:
We're trying to figure out how we want to slice and dice our HR data into basis and reference groups.
  I'm aware of the "arcane codes" vs "institutionally meaningful" descriptions.. but it feels like some of our arcane codes might be institutionally meaningful (e.g. "department ID number").

I was hoping people might be willing to share samples of what they've implemented?

One example I'll share is for course populations, but I think the ideas can be applied to HR populations as well.  This shows how you can provide both at the reference level without introducing  additional complexity for casual UI lookups.

While group names and ID's are the same by default, there's nothing stating that it's a requirement.  For our courses, the more "user-friendly" institutionally-meaningful dept-course-section information is given, since those are typically what end users search for when doing course lookups.

Name: uncg:courses:202105:CSC-261-01-students-systemOfRecord

The group ID, however, is different, where the less user-friendly course registration number (CRN) is used, along with semester:

ID:  uncg:courses:202105:SECTION___202105___50007-students

This also makes it easier to look up courses by the more common name as well as the CRN.

Since there's no assembly needed for these types of reference groups, they're loaded directly with no intermediate basis groups required.

We've had these for some time and we'll probably look at loading more information via attributes as the functionality is/will become available in SQL Loader jobs.

Hope this helps,

-Jeff

thanks!
--