grouper-users - [grouper-users] newbie installer question about database to use

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

[grouper-users] newbie installer question about database to use

  • From: Les LaCroix <>
  • To:
  • Subject: [grouper-users] newbie installer question about database to use
  • Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2020 23:18:00 -0500

Hello,

With the recent announcement of v2.5, I thought I'd take another stab at installing Grouper.  I have tried following the sets of instructions "Install the Grouper v2.5 container with maturity level 0 manually" and "Install the Grouper v2.5 container with maturity level 0 using installer", and I think I am running into the same problem: choice of databases.

I am attempting to install on Centos 7.  In Centos, I have most familiarity with MySQL/MariaDB, and no familiarity with Postgres or Oracle.  (I am actually much more familiar with MS SQL than MySQL, but I didn't see any references to that in the Grouper installation guides.)  Also, I know a lot of programming languages, but know virtually nothing about actually using Java.  Finally, we don't use AWS yet; all of our cloud adventures have been in GCP or Azure.

I installed MariaDB 10.4.12, and I don't think the Grouper container is talking to it.  With "manually" the grouper.log starts with a Communications link failure.  With "using installer", the docker_logs_init_db*.log file ends with "############## Running static SQL".  And in neither case are there any tables in the grouper database.

If I want to run the container without adding drivers to it, what MySQL/MariaDB should I install on my Centos 7 host?  If I want to use MariaDB 10.4.12, what driver should I install into the container, and how would I do that?  (Maybe if I knew more about Java I'd be able to answer these questions myself?)

Thanks, -Les

Les LaCroix '79 | Strategic Technologist
Carleton College | 1 N. College St. | MS 3-ITS | Northfield, MN 55057
507.222.5455