grouper-users - Re: [grouper-users] RE: Grouper Newbie - LDAP integration
Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List
Re: [grouper-users] RE: Grouper Newbie - LDAP integration
- From: Duane Booher <>
- To: "Coleman, Erik C" <>, "" <>
- Subject: Re: [grouper-users] RE: Grouper Newbie - LDAP integration
- Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2018 17:46:16 +0000
- Accept-language: en-US
- Authentication-results: spf=pass (sender IP is 184.108.40.206) smtp.mailfrom=nau.edu; illinois.edu; dkim=none (message not signed) header.d=none;illinois.edu; dmarc=bestguesspass action=none header.from=nau.edu;
- Spamdiagnosticmetadata: NSPM
- Spamdiagnosticoutput: 1:99
Hi Erik, thanks for the info. I will look at the examples that you have provided.
I’m not using the TIER grouper containers, instead I’m using the grouper installer option via: java -jar grouperInstaller.jar
When I look at the grouper loader, my understanding (which may be incorrect) is that it uses a cron based approach for syncing between LDAP and grouper? I was hoping for a direct grouper LDAP connection, where grouper would connect to LDAP and get the necessary user id’s from ou=people (this would be a step1a on my list). Then as a group is created/maintained then I was hoping that grouper would also store the group membership also back into LDAP (this would be step2b on my list). I understand that grouper uses a database, so some of these lookups and persistence may be maintained in the grouper database.
In general, I’m having a hard time with this part of the configuration. I’m carefully looking at all of the relevant grouper technical configuration documentation for customizing my grouper/LDAP connection. So if you have any additional grouper links, then that would be great.
From: <> on behalf of "Coleman, Erik C" <>
We basically approached the same way with our eval—swinging over one-by-one to our LDAP, then to our Shib, then to our own database instance. Are you using the Grouper Demo Docker containers?
With 2.4, all of your LDAP connections are specified in grouper-loader.properties, so you simply need to change the parameters in there to point to your enterprise LDAP. Change subject.properties in order to point to where your identities (subjects) live in that LDAP. Then you can throw out the LDAP container.
For Shib, you’ll want to upload your own shibboleth2.xml as well as the appropriate sp-key.pem and sp-cert.pem to the Grouper UI container, with settings as you would for any SP configured to connect to your IDP. Then you can throw out the supplied IDP container.
As a tip, I found it more convenient to bootstrap me in the wheel group so that I have admin access, this is in grouper.properties, which should also go into the Grouper containers:
groups.wheel.use = true
groups.wheel.group = etc:sysadmingroup
configuration.autocreate.group.name.0 = etc:sysadmingroup
configuration.autocreate.group.description.0 = Grouper Service Admins
configuration.autocreate.group.subjects.0 = ecc
That’s glossing over many of the specific details, but should give you an idea.
On Behalf Of Duane Booher
Hello, I am doing a quick grouper 2.4 evaluation and I have it running on both my personal workstation (Mac Os X) and a redhat 6 server. In both cases I used the grouper installer with the default demo processes. Then I migrated the grouper-ui and grouper-ws applications over to a seperate tomcat container. I am still running the remaining processes out of the installer folder, such as the demo hsqldb, daemon, etc. I have been following the Grouper Deployment Guide, however things are still fuzzy to me.
I have two immediate goals and I hope the community can point me in the right direction:
1) I would now like to connect grouper up with our LDAP for both user lookup and for integration with groups stored in LDAP.
2) I would like to connect the grouper login to our shibboleth/SAML single sign-on.
I am both a LDAP integrator, along with a shib w/ in-common and CAS integrator. But, I do not fully understand the grouper configuration details. So any help is greatly appreciated.
- Re: [grouper-users] RE: Grouper Newbie - LDAP integration, Duane Booher, 10/24/2018
- RE: [grouper-users] RE: Grouper Newbie - LDAP integration, Hyzer, Chris, 10/24/2018
- Re: [grouper-users] RE: Grouper Newbie - LDAP integration, Carl Waldbieser, 10/24/2018
- Re: [grouper-users] RE: Grouper Newbie - LDAP integration, Bill Thompson, 10/24/2018
- RE: [grouper-users] RE: Grouper Newbie - LDAP integration, Redman, Chad, 10/24/2018
- Re: [grouper-users] RE: Grouper Newbie - LDAP integration, Duane Booher, 10/25/2018
Archive powered by MHonArc 2.6.19.