grouper-users - [grouper-users] Add composite as member takes really long time - MariaDB

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

[grouper-users] Add composite as member takes really long time - MariaDB

  • From: Carl Waldbieser <>
  • To: grouper-users <>
  • Subject: [grouper-users] Add composite as member takes really long time - MariaDB
  • Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2018 11:42:11 -0400 (EDT)
  • Ironport-phdr: 9a23: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

I experienced a strange error in Grouper this morning.
I have my standard "allow" and "deny" groups for a policy. I wanted to add a
cohort to the allow policy, but there were some particular exclusions I
needed to apply to the cohort list I was provided.
I created a reference group for the provided cohort, and a reference group
for the exclusions, and then I created a composite group that was the
provided cohort minus the exclusions. So far so good. The composite ended
up having 247 members.

Next, I attempted to add this composite to my "allow" policy. This ended up
timing out in the UI. I tried adding the composite to the "allow" policy
using GSH, and after a short period of time, I received a stack trace. In
the Grouper logs, I saw:

ERROR JDBCExceptionReporter.logExceptions(234) - - Lock wait timeout
exceeded; try restarting transaction

I contacted our DB admins. The DB admin found a lock originating from a
sleeping Grouper process and killed it. I tried to re-run from GSH again
while the DB admin monitored the progress. This time the query ran for 10
minutes. The DB admin could see it had created a temp table while holding
~50,000 row locks.

At this point I terminated the client connection and the transaction rolled
back on the DB side. I exported the composite group membership to a
spreadsheet, then imported the membership into a "workaround" reference
group. I was able to add this workaround group to the "allow" policy without
any issues, and it took only a second or two for the operation to complete
using the UI.

I tried searching the Jira for this issue, but I didn't turn up any results.
Has anyone run into an issue similar to this? We are running Grouper 2.2.1
with a MariaDB cluster back end.

Is there any reason why adding a composite caused the issue vs. adding a
static cohort?

Thanks,
Carl Waldbieser
ITS Identity Management