grouper-users - [grouper-users] Large number of changes and provisioning

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

[grouper-users] Large number of changes and provisioning

  • From: Jeffrey Crawford <>
  • To: Gouper Users List <>
  • Subject: [grouper-users] Large number of changes and provisioning
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2017 11:26:52 -0700
  • Ironport-phdr: 9a23:gTTP9h/QWZDz3/9uRHKM819IXTAuvvDOBiVQ1KB90+McTK2v8tzYMVDF4r011RmSAtWdtqoMotGVmp6jcFRI2YyGvnEGfc4EfD4+ouJSoTYdBtWYA1bwNv/gYn9yNs1DUFh44yPzahANS47WLmffqXyq7DMUBg63dU8sfry0ScbuiJGY0P2q9oebXh5FniH1RbJpMF3ioh/Wq9Ebm85/Masr0TPIpGdFYeJb2TkuKF6OyUXS/MC1qbxu/SpKtuNp3NRJTqv9ZahwGb5VAjo8PnE+zNDgrhKFQAeSsChPGl4KmwZFVlCWpCrxWY38526j7rJw

We had an interesting case show up not so long ago, basically there was a change in a group that in effect, removed everyone, and then added them all back (composite group change), there were > 122,000 members of the group so it cause a huge back log of changes that wound up taking quite a few hours.

Eventually I just stopped grouper, tagged the psp entry in the grouper_change_log_consumer, to be the same number as syncGroups and restarted, which performed a bulkSync. That only takes 30 min.

Additionally what I noticed is that our ldap servers were backed up quite a bit as they were busy deleting records one at a time, and then adding them again one at a time.

It got me to thinking that perhaps there should be a setting that will identify how many records are supposed to change from the change log and say if it's over 10,000, instead of processing the change log, it would sync up the psp record to match syncGroups, and perform a bulk sync, which is also easier on the LDAP servers as it does a compare and just modifies what needs to change.

This setting would be settable by the admin since different environments might find they should process 30,000 before the change log takes longer than a bulk sync for example

Thoughts?

Jeffrey E. Crawford
Enterprise Service Team

You have been assigned this mountain to prove to others that it *can* be moved.