grouper-users - RE: [grouper-users] Differencing tool with healing capabilities...

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

RE: [grouper-users] Differencing tool with healing capabilities...

  • From: "Black, Carey M." <>
  • To: "Hyzer, Chris" <>, "Gettes, Michael" <>, Bill Thompson <>
  • Cc: "" <>
  • Subject: RE: [grouper-users] Differencing tool with healing capabilities...
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2017 03:45:05 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Ironport-phdr: 9a23:9+U33BOrbmfJ/3j4FZUl6mtUPXoX/o7sNwtQ0KIMzox0KPv6rarrMEGX3/hxlliBBdydsK0UzbeO+4nbGkU+or+5+EgYd5JNUxJXwe43pCcHRPC/NEvgMfTxZDY7FskRHHVs/nW8LFQHUJ2mPw6aijSI4DUTAhTyMxZubqSwQ9aKzpf/6+fnsb3CcQhSwHKWYalzN1/++QDattgEjJFKK706jAbRr31OPela2DUsbRi8kgrg69z0tLti+CRZtvZrv5pPXLnmcr8QULJcSjkqLjZxrOfqsR2LcQuI42MHVWNexgVHHwjC6Tn1W57wtm3xse8riweAOsijB5owUD+hq+9AQQXlmW8icXRxpGvTg8dzyvsB+zqmvAE5zoLJNtLGfMFid7/QKItJDVFKWdxcAmkYWtux
  • Spamdiagnosticmetadata: NSPM
  • Spamdiagnosticoutput: 1:99

Just some quick thoughts….

It might be safer (and ultimately more configurable) if the groups needed to be “tagged” to support this “magic”. That way the local instance needs to be told (configured) what groups are ok for this magic.

Instead of trying to magically figure out what groups to not do it for. (And rules could be used to auto tag groups by stem too.)

It might be possible that some “loader jobs” might be suspect for various reasons in a local environment. ( timing of updates in grouper vs the upstream system, failures to complete the data loads, etc..) So if a local instance wants to include such a group for this kind of manual/scripted comparison, it would be more useful to explicitly need to identify the groups that are “OK” than to try to auto-magically know which groups are “not ok to fix”.

Maybe via a new attribute named something like: “grouperOkToDiffUsers” ?  ( Assuming the feature is called something like “What’s the diff between two users?” (WTD2U) J

The idea could also be extended to dynamically support the idea of WTD2G ( between two groups J ).

                Which might be a nice way to evaluate if two groups are “the same by membership”. ( Seems like a useful function to me. Yea this could be done with two complement composite groups, but a “simple UI” that could allow an admin to “push users” from one group to another could, maybe, be useful if the groups being compared are not composite groups. )

I kind of have a two column UI in my head.

                Right/Left columns ( with a user or a group value in each column)

                values in the columns would be a “check list” of values that are not in the other list.)

                Arrow buttons to move items from Right to Left, or Left to Right.

                Save/Cancel buttons.

                Maybe the UI works for all groups, but the “change/check” buttons are disabled if the groups are not tagged, or if the groups are composite groups?

                                That way you could see the difference and maybe “get a clue” about upstream system data that is driving the difference too?

OR automatic functions to auto move “Group1 à Group2”, “Group2 à Group1” and maybe even “Group1 ßàGroup2” options to skip the UI lists and “just do it”. ( That would be more like what Michael was asking for. )

--

Carey Matthew