grouper-users - Re: [grouper-users] grouper and openldap

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

Re: [grouper-users] grouper and openldap

  • From: Mark Cairney <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-users] grouper and openldap
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2017 08:54:37 +0000
  • Ironport-phdr: 9a23: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

Hi,

I've found that using the sortVals setting on the member attribute
significantly reduces the impact of this, as does using the mdb backend
as opposed to bdb/hdb.

From the OpenLDAP docs:

olcSortVals: <attr> [...]
Specify a list of multi-valued attributes whose values will always
be maintained in sorted order. Using this option will allow Modify,
Compare, and filter evaluations on these attributes to be performed more
efficiently. The resulting sort order depends on the attributes' syntax
and matching rules and may not correspond to lexical order or any other
recognizable order. This setting is only allowed in the frontend entry.

We're using this setting along with a couple of groups of >200K members
and although CPU spikes for about 5-10 seconds when these groups are
modified it hasn't as yet caused a service issue.

Kind regards,

Mark

--

Mark Cairney
ITI Enterprise Services
Information Services
University of Edinburgh

Tel: 0131 650 6565
Email:

PGP: 0x435A9621

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.