grouper-users - [grouper-users] 2.3 Loader and Inheritance Rules

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

[grouper-users] 2.3 Loader and Inheritance Rules

  • From: Michael R Gettes <>
  • To: Gouper Users List <>
  • Subject: [grouper-users] 2.3 Loader and Inheritance Rules
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2016 12:20:10 -0400

I am seeing some strange behavior and need to see if either I am doing something wrong or if others see it.
Grouper version 2.3 latest (as of 2 weeks ago)

I have two top-level folders:  Campus and Identity.  Campus has no inheritance rules but
Identity does with 3 rules, Levels=All, 2 Group assignments, 1 folder and 3 assignments involve
2 Groups being Identity:Admins and Identity:Admins-Readonly).  Image attached shows these rules.

I have a Loader job populating a bunch of members.  When I create the resulting group from the loader job into
Identity:NotStudents - Identity:Admins and Identity:Admins-ReadOnly end up as members of the group - an unexpected result.
When I change the loader job to create Campus:NotStudents, Identity:Admins and Identity:Admins-ReadOnly groups are NOT members.
Creating Identity:Foo:NotStudents is without the Admins groups as members as intended.

The loader job looks something like (using Admin UI, no other attributes set)

grouperLoaderQuery = select distinct 'Campus:NotStudents' as GROUP_NAME, SUBJECT_ID from GROUPER_MEMBERSHIPS_V where SUBJECT_SOURCE = 'psuperson' and lower(GROUP_NAME) like lower('Identity:Affiliations:eduPerson:ByAllAffiliations:%') and ( lower(GROUP_NAME) != lower('Identity:Affiliations:eduPerson:ByAllAffiliations:faculty') and lower(GROUP_NAME) != lower('Identity:Affiliations:eduPerson:ByAllAffiliations:retiree') and lower(GROUP_NAME) != lower('Identity:Affiliations:eduPerson:ByAllAffiliations:employee') and lower(GROUP_NAME) != lower('Identity:Affiliations:eduPerson:ByAllAffiliations:student') and lower(GROUP_NAME) != lower('Identity:Affiliations:eduPerson:ByAllAffiliations:staff') )
grouperLoaderType = SQL_GROUP_LIST
grouperLoaderDbName = grouper

Is this a bug involving Inheritance Rules and groups created at the top level of where Inheritance Rules are defined?  Can anyone else replicate this problem? I hope I have provided all the info for someone to replicate the problem.

/mrg