grouper-users - [grouper-users] Grouper and Java 8

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

[grouper-users] Grouper and Java 8

  • From: "Farmer, Jacob" <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: [grouper-users] Grouper and Java 8
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2016 16:05:25 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

Colleagues,

We are in the early stages of our Grouper deployment and we are focusing our attention on Java versions at the moment.  I have been reviewing the wiki, mailing list archives, and talking to colleagues and I _think_ I understand what is going on.  However, I would like to try to summarize here and would greatly appreciate corrections.  For context, we have almost completely retired Java 6 (except for one soon-to-be retired app) and only apps that will be retired in the next year are running Java 7, so I’m trying to avoid trying to get a policy exception to deploy a new app on down-level Java.

I understand the following to be true:

·         Grouper was designed and tested on Java 6; it is the Java version that is guaranteed to be fully functional (guarantee being, of course, a squishy concept in open source software)

·         Many (maybe most) institutions are running on Java 7 and are not experiencing problems; it can generally be considered a supported version

·         No one seems to be running a production instance on Java 8, but it should work assuming:

o   You don’t run some of the PSP examples that rely on features that don’t work in Java 8 (GRP-1141), and

o   You apply the patch to disable Java version checks (GRP-1235)

Is that a reasonably accurate summary?  Anything that I missed?

Thanks, all!

Jacob

P.S. I can’t seem to access GRP-1235 to view the patch, I just know about its existence from the mailing list archive.

Jacob Farmer

Identity Management Systems

(812) 856-0186