Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List
- From: "Hyzer, Chris" <>
- To: "Farmer, Jacob" <>, "" <>
- Subject: [grouper-users] RE: Grouper and Java 8
- Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2016 17:44:38 +0000
- Accept-language: en-US
- Authentication-results: spf=none (sender IP is ) ;
- Spamdiagnosticmetadata: NSPM
- Spamdiagnosticoutput: 1:23
That is a very good summary though Im pretty sure people run java8 in production. The Java version check just displays an error message on startup which you can ignore or configure not to show. The patch removes the check.
Also, I didn’t know the issue security changes we made recently made some jiras not public, I have fixed that and you should be able to see that jira now.
The unit tests before releases are run on java7.
Cant think of anything else you missed.
We are in the early stages of our Grouper deployment and we are focusing our attention on Java versions at the moment. I have been reviewing the wiki, mailing list archives, and talking to colleagues and I _think_ I understand what is going on. However, I would like to try to summarize here and would greatly appreciate corrections. For context, we have almost completely retired Java 6 (except for one soon-to-be retired app) and only apps that will be retired in the next year are running Java 7, so I’m trying to avoid trying to get a policy exception to deploy a new app on down-level Java.
I understand the following to be true:
· Grouper was designed and tested on Java 6; it is the Java version that is guaranteed to be fully functional (guarantee being, of course, a squishy concept in open source software)
· Many (maybe most) institutions are running on Java 7 and are not experiencing problems; it can generally be considered a supported version
· No one seems to be running a production instance on Java 8, but it should work assuming:
o You don’t run some of the PSP examples that rely on features that don’t work in Java 8 (GRP-1141), and
o You apply the patch to disable Java version checks (GRP-1235)
Is that a reasonably accurate summary? Anything that I missed?
P.S. I can’t seem to access GRP-1235 to view the patch, I just know about its existence from the mailing list archive.
Identity Management Systems
- [grouper-users] Grouper and Java 8, Farmer, Jacob, 01/22/2016
- [grouper-users] RE: Grouper and Java 8, Hyzer, Chris, 01/22/2016
Archive powered by MHonArc 2.6.16.