grouper-users - Re: [grouper-users] adhoc group memberships, what to do when IDM Roles change

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

Re: [grouper-users] adhoc group memberships, what to do when IDM Roles change

  • From: Julio Polo <>
  • To: Steven Carmody <>
  • Cc: David Langenberg <>, Chris Hyzer <>, Grouper-Users <>
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-users] adhoc group memberships, what to do when IDM Roles change
  • Date: Fri, 8 May 2015 10:09:34 -1000

Are your groups really ad hoc or are they usually well-defined groups such as "employees of the office of information technology" with some exceptions?   This all hinges on your having something that automatically keeps these well-defined groups in sync.  For example, we have a group store where we offer app developers groups based on roles (faculty, staff, student), department, campus, system of record.  The groups in the group store are automatically updated as our IDM system gets data from the systems of record.

In this scenario, you would create a composite group:  ("employees of IT department" from the group store UNION "a group for manual inclusions") COMPLEMENT "a group for manual exclusions"  If a person leaves that IT department, he or she is no longer a member of the composite group, and therefore no longer has access to whatever is controlled by that composite group.  The tricky part is setting rules for dealing with the manual inclusions/exclusions.

-julio

Julio Polo
Enterprise Middleware, Identity and Access Management
Information Technology Services
University of Hawaii