grouper-users - Re: [grouper-users] general approach to integrating with Canvas

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

Re: [grouper-users] general approach to integrating with Canvas

  • From: Steven Carmody <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-users] general approach to integrating with Canvas
  • Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2014 10:49:39 -0400

On 10/6/14 1:35 PM, Rob Gorrell wrote:
We are new to both Grouper as our group store and Canvas as our new
LMS... now I know Canvas as been gaining considerable steam in the I2
community, and while I can't name names, I'm certain there are some long
time Grouper schools that have adopted Canvas and are sending course
information from Grouper into Canvas. if you are one those, what is the
approach you are using? and if you had to do it again today, is there a
general approach thats starting to emerge as favorable for
Canvas/Grouper integration?

We use Banner as our student system; it provides real time updates to Grouper course groups as students add and drop courses.

On the outboard side, we provision the changing membership of these course groups into Canvas (in addition to other targets). We have a locally-developed Grouper change log consumer that sends updates via a MSG BUS to various listeners (including a Canvas listener). btw, we use ActiveMQ as our bus.

The Canvas listener currently uses the original Canvas API (I think it uploads a CSV file to Canvas). Canvas provided a different API after we did our implementation.

I think a *great* conversation to have at TechX would be to seek consensus on a standard msg format, and a process for creating and maintaining a library of these listeners.

I've heard a lot of muffled conversations about this topic discussed at
different times going way back, but can't recall any
specifics/consensus, just a recollection that many were customized,
make-it-work scenarios unique to their school. so I thought I'd ask
since I would imagine there's broad interest here and we have enough
people making it work somehow... what does the approach look like to
push course groups (once they exist) out of Grouper and into Canvas
(being that Canvas expects RESTful API calls to be made against it)