grouper-users - Re: [grouper-users] database loader job with START_TO_START_INTERVAL

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

Re: [grouper-users] database loader job with START_TO_START_INTERVAL

  • From: Bruno Wolff III <>
  • To: Scott Koranda <>
  • Cc: Chris Hyzer <>, grouper-users <>
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-users] database loader job with START_TO_START_INTERVAL
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2014 14:28:01 -0500

On Wed, Jul 09, 2014 at 02:08:28PM -0500,
Scott Koranda
Understood.

This issue is that we want the loader jobs to run as often as possible
to help beat down provisioning latency. But at certain times of the
year (when semesters turn over) the amount of work, and hence the
amount of time it takes for the loader job to run, spikes. The danger
then is that two instances run at the same time.

I do not see how to reconcile those requirements/needs with CRON so I
was testing the START_TO_START_INTERVAL functionality, but I did not
expect random start times.

I appreciate any recommendations you can make.

If you have systemd on these machines, you might consider using a timer unit. It looks like you should be able to specify a delay since the last run of the unit finished before restarting it. That would avoid overlapping runs.