grouper-users - Re: [grouper-users] Trying some new things in package edu.internet2.middleware.subject.provider

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

Re: [grouper-users] Trying some new things in package edu.internet2.middleware.subject.provider

  • From: "Sachdeva, Vivek" <>
  • To: Keith Hazelton <>
  • Cc: "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-users] Trying some new things in package edu.internet2.middleware.subject.provider
  • Date: Sat, 1 Feb 2014 22:31:52 +0000

Below are the steps I took to setup my development environment.

  1. I checked out grouper, grouper-ui, grouper-ws, grouper-ws-java-generated-client, grouper-ws-java-manual-client and grouper-misc. The repository is http://anonsvn.internet2.edu/svn/i2mi/tags/GROUPER_2_1_5 . I use Eclipse. I might have checked out more than I really needed.
  2.  Using the grouper installer I setup the database. I did stop after that. I did not go for downloading tomcat, etc.
  3. I modified the grouper-loader.properties, grouper-hibernate.properties which are in the grouper/conf folder. I renamed the example files and then I made changes. Ex. grouper.hibernate.example.properties will be grouper.hibernate.properties.
  4. Then I ran the dist target (ant) from the grouper project. Then dist from grouper-ws. This will generate grouper-ws.war file in the build/dist folder. Then I ran war target from grouper-ui. It will generate grouper.war file. I added these two war files in the tomcat's web apps directory.
  5. I also added <role rolename="grouper_user"/>

    <user password="***" roles="grouper_user" username="GrouperSystem"/ > in the tomcat-users.xml file.

  6. Then I started tomcat and hit http://localhost:8080/grouper. It will ask for username and password. Enter the same user name and password as in the tomcat-users.xml file.

There might be better ways to setup the environment but the above one so far is working fine.

Thanks,
Vivek