grouper-users - RE: [grouper-users] Grouper Deployment Infrastructure

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

RE: [grouper-users] Grouper Deployment Infrastructure

  • From: Chris Hyzer <>
  • To: "Bryan E. Wooten" <>, Dominique Petitpierre <>
  • Cc: "" <>
  • Subject: RE: [grouper-users] Grouper Deployment Infrastructure
  • Date: Thu, 16 May 2013 17:01:10 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

I don't think any Java webapps should share a tomcat :)

You can have one apache, and one domain name, SSL cert etc. Then have one
tomcat install, but run in several times on the same server with different
ports. This way:

1. If one webapp takes all the heap/permgen, it wont affect other webapps
2. If you need to redeploy and bounce, you can bounce without affecting other
apps (haven't had good experience with hotswap)
3. If there is an endless loop or something that takes all the CPU, it will
affect the whole tomcat, but on a multi-core server, might not affect other
services
4. If there is a deadlock, the whole tomcat could be wedged
5. When debugging, running jstack, etc, things are simpler
6. There are probably other reasons, but it is easy enough to run each webapp
in its own tomcat, so I didn't dig too deep to find more reasons

I didn't read the whole article, but maybe this helps explain

http://blogs.vmware.com/vfabric/2012/10/5-scenarios-and-best-practices-for-running-multiple-instances-of-tomcat-or-tc-server.html

With that all said, if you want to run the UI and WS on the same tomcat, go
for it :)

thanks,

On Behalf Of Bryan E. Wooten