grouper-users - RE: [grouper-users] xmlExport: how to export groups without any uuid reference?

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

RE: [grouper-users] xmlExport: how to export groups without any uuid reference?

  • From: Chris Hyzer <>
  • To: Dominique Petitpierre <>
  • Cc: "" <>
  • Subject: RE: [grouper-users] xmlExport: how to export groups without any uuid reference?
  • Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2013 15:22:52 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

At a high level, what would you like to do? Export groups/members/privileges
from certain stems? Anything else? Maybe there is a better way than the
export/import tool which should work well for full registries, but obviously
has issues with partial exports/imports...

> In our context the name of some stems and groups need to be changed
> between test and prod, so do some grouperLoader attribute fields. In
> most cases person members would need to be fixed after the copy
> (grouperloader, usdu or "by hand").

You can try that

> > Note: uuid's will only be used on new objects...
>
> - What defines a new object when importing? the path? the uuid? The
> pair path+uuid?
> - Any risk of uuid collisions between different instances of Grouper?
>
> In other words
> - is there a risk to corrupt the DB by importing an xml file containing
> an unhappy (but locally correct) combination of elements?

I don’t think you can corrupt it. If there is a name already in the DB with
a different UUID, then it will not change the UUID. If there is no name/uuid
in the DB, then it will use the exported one.

> For example if one were moving a hierarchy within the same instance of
> Grouper, using gsh -xmlexport/-xmlimport in order to be able to edit
> the xml file to change the root and do some branches reorganization
> and renaming,
> - would that work by changing just the names?
> - would that work also in the case of branch replication (i.e. without
> deletion of the original hierarchy)?
> - what about the audit entries?

I think if you not exporting the whole registry, you shouldn’t export
auditing... there is a switch to turn it off.

> 1) When exporting a very small stem (test:t containing test:t:g1,
> test:t:g2) the output xml file contains the two group objects but
> even though the groups g1 and g2 have only one person member each, it
> seems that all the person members of all the groups are included in the file
> (<XmlExportMember>). Idem for the audit part: it seems all the audit
> data is exported.

Yes, all member records are exported, which are not memberships, so it should
not be a problem... if you are doing a partial export, you should omit the
auditing.

> - does xmlimport import all the XmlExportMember entries (subjects)?

I believe so

> 2) When exporting with the command
>
> gsh.sh -xmlexport -includeComments -noprompt all.xml

I think the includeComments part has issues, probably shouldn’t use that.
The problem is the export/import is trying to do everything with streaming so
the registry doesn’t have to be in memory and cause problems. So while it is
streaming, it is looking things up for comments, and it causes problems.