grouper-users - RE: [grouper-users] user onboarding, authentication, oauth

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

RE: [grouper-users] user onboarding, authentication, oauth

  • From: Chris Hyzer <>
  • To: mohan shamachar <>, "" <>
  • Subject: RE: [grouper-users] user onboarding, authentication, oauth
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2013 16:30:08 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

> 1. I understand, the grouper loader connectors can on-board the user-base
> on
> to the grouper registry. I believe ldap acts as the authentication
> component.
> How to integrate non-ldap authentication?

The grouper loader keeps systems of records queries or filters in sync with
grouper groups. Not sure what you mean about integrating with ldap
authentication. Can you explain what you mean in detail?

> 2. What about OAuth? Scenario: How can I register and authenticate a gmail
> user?

If you can protect the external user authentication page with oauth (e.g.
from web server or j2ee filter), and put the userId in REMOTE_USER or
somewhere that Grouper can use it, then it will work. Not sure if someone
has an example of this.

> 3. What are the grouper API components that deal with the authentication of
> grouper system end-user who would like to login to an app that uses grouper
> for the access management.

Um... I wouldn't do this. Make a wheel group (which is an admin group,
configure in grouper.properties), and add a real user to that group, and
login as the real user/pass, not with GrouperSystem. GrouperSystem is more
for GSH of API...