grouper-users - [grouper-users] Local entity for WS service account

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

[grouper-users] Local entity for WS service account

  • From: Mike Roszkowski <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: [grouper-users] Local entity for WS service account
  • Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2012 10:14:09 -0500

I'd like to create a "service account" in grouper for an application.
The app will use web services to access grouper, so needs to be
able to authenticate via basic auth to the grouper web services.

My first attempt was to use gsh's addSubject("mst-test","application","MST test
account")
and set the loginid, name, and description subject attributes,
but that doesn't seem to create a subject, as findSubject("mst-test") returns
// Error: subject not found: mst-test

So, I thought I'd try a local entity. I created one using the Lite UI called:
control:applications:mst-test

findSubject("control:applications:mst-test") works, but now I'm faced with
trying to authenticate control:applications:mst-test via tomcat basic
auth and the colon is an illegal character in basic auth usernames per
RFC-2617.

Is there a way I can use a local entity to authenticate via basic auth
to grouper-ws? Or is there another approach I should be using to create
a "service account?"

Thanks for any help you can offer.
--Mike Roszkowski
University of Wisconsin-Madison