grouper-users - [grouper-users] concept of subject source

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

[grouper-users] concept of subject source

  • From: Dick Visser <>
  • To:
  • Subject: [grouper-users] concept of subject source
  • Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2012 17:48:28 +0200

Hi guys

N00b question again.

I have set up the database, and grouper-ui.
Can log in, can create groups etc.

Now I want to add members to groups (please correct my if I don't use
the right terminology - I read that there are two ways of expressing
things - the admin way, and the user way).

I have a simple PG database on some server that stores users.
So I have configured grouper/conf/sources.xml to list:

<source
adapterClass="edu.internet2.middleware.grouper.subj.GrouperJdbcSourceAdapter">
<id>jdbc</id>
<name>test Example JDBC Source Adapter</name>
<type>person</type>

<init-param>
<param-name>jdbcConnectionProvider</param-name>

<param-value>edu.internet2.middleware.grouper.subj.GrouperJdbcConnectionProvider
</param-value>
</init-param>

<init-param>
<param-name>jdbcConnectionProvider</param-name>
<param-value>jdbcConnectionProvider</param-value>
</init-param>

<init-param>
<param-name>dbDriver</param-name>
<param-value>org.postgresql.Driver</param-value>
</init-param>
<init-param>
<param-name>dbUrl</param-name>
<param-value>jdbc:postgresql://hostname/tnc2012</param-value>
</init-param>
<init-param>
<param-name>dbUser</param-name>
<param-value>test_user</param-value>
</init-param>
<init-param>
<param-name>dbPwd</param-name>
<param-value>hackme</param-value>
</init-param>

<!-- if more than this many results are returned, then throw a too
many subjects exception -->
<init-param>
<param-name>maxResults</param-name>
<param-value>1000</param-value>
</init-param>

<!-- on a findPage() this is the most results returned -->
<init-param>
<param-name>maxPageSize</param-name>
<param-value>100</param-value>
</init-param>

<init-param>
<param-name>SubjectID_AttributeType</param-name>
<param-value>user_id</param-value>
</init-param>
<init-param>
<param-name>Name_AttributeType</param-name>
<param-value>fullname</param-value>
</init-param>
<init-param>
<param-name>Description_AttributeType</param-name>
<param-value>organisation</param-value>
</init-param>
etc etc

Does Grouper now do 1) 'live' searches in this database?
Or 2) some sort of batch import/update into its local database (the
one from hibernate.properties) and query that?

If I now want to add members and search from something, nothgin is returned.
By using tcpdump I can tell that no outgoing connection on port 5432
are made either.
So I wonder what I'm missing.

Tomcat6 is serving one 'app' from
/opt/GROUPER_2_1_BRANCH/grouper-ui/dist/grouper
Do I need more?

Thanks!!

--
Dick Visser