grouper-users - [grouper-users] Setting default privileges for a group

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

[grouper-users] Setting default privileges for a group

  • From: Julio Polo <>
  • To:
  • Subject: [grouper-users] Setting default privileges for a group
  • Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 13:37:11 -1000

How do I set the default privileges for a new or existing group via a
web service? I am assuming this can be specified within
<WsRestGroupSaveRequest> (using REST, XML), but I couldn't find any
documentation.

Julio Polo
University of Hawaii

Excerpt from https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/Grouper/API+Configuration

Grouper Privileges

All configuration of Grouper privileges detailed in this section occur
in the grouper/conf/grouper.properties file.

Default privileges

Grouper requires that all subjects must be explicitly granted access
or naming privileges (cf. Glossary), with one caveat. There is a
special "subject" internal to Grouper called the ALL subject, which is
a stand-in for any subject. The ALL subject can be granted a privilege
in lieu of assigning that privilege explicitly to each and every
subject.

When a new group or naming stem is created, any of its associated
privileges can be granted by default to the ALL subject. This is
configured by a series of properties in grouper.properties, one per
privilege. If a property has the value "true" then ALL is granted that
privilege by default when a group or naming stem is created. Otherwise
it is not, and hence no subject has that privilege by default.