grouper-users - RE: [grouper-users] Setting default privileges for a group

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

RE: [grouper-users] Setting default privileges for a group

  • From: Chris Hyzer <>
  • To: Julio Polo <>, "" <>
  • Subject: RE: [grouper-users] Setting default privileges for a group
  • Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 21:03:31 -0400

Well, its not the default privilege, it's the global privilege... know what I
mean?

So on the UI, all that checkbox does is assign a privilege for that group to
the subject EveryEntity, or GrouperAll, or whatever it is configured to be
called in grouper.properties. So if you want to create a group, then create
it with a GroupSave. That will follow the grouper.properties to assign the
global privileges. By default this makes the group globally readable and
globally viewable. I personally think that Universities should change this
default to false for all, following the principal of least privilege. But in
any case, after you do your GroupSave, then follow that with a web service
call "assignGrouperPrivileges" call which either removes the
EveryEntity/GrouperAll for default grouper.properties settings, or adds them
if you want to widen things. Ok?

Thanks!

On Behalf Of Julio Polo